Friday, September 9, 2011

Morning Chocolate Musings

Smoked gouda cheese. My new FAVORITE thing, like ever. I am tempted to eat it with practically everything. Okay, not practically. Everything. Even chocolate.

Today it was Lindt 70% dark with black currants and smoked gouda cheese. I was initially surprised by the tang of bright berries, an explosion of taste I didn't expect from the chocolate. The gouda cheese gave it a nice savory combination, but was definitely a secondary flavor.

New truffle idea: black currant + rose. More details to come.

Oo, speaking of chocolate with cheese, don't think I am such a rebellious trail-blazer. One of my favorite chocolate companies, Vosges Haut Chocolat, has created a truffle that pairs dark chocolate with cheese in the Italian Collection. This is the collection I have coveted most, ever since I first perused the glossy pages of a Vosges catalogue. Taleggio cheese, balsamic vinegar, pine nuts, and olive oil. Strange combinations yes, but I am dying to have a taste. Check it out on their website: http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/collezione_italiana_16pc/collezione_italiana


Haven't you ever dreamed of going to Italy?

I dream of places far from Europe. I am currently in looooove with the Middle East and the beautiful Arab people, which partly explains my major: Middle East Studies and Arabic. Yet I also love South America, especially Mexico, where I dream of returning often. The whole world is so fascinating! And I certainly go through stages- through Russia, Germany, France, Indonesia, Mongolia, and parts of Africa. 

But Italy- Italy has been an abiding itch beneath my skin, a permanent travel aspiration. Beautiful, old, paint-peeling, flower hanging, vine covered Italy, with all its dripping charm and ancient history. The romantic language and inspiring architecture, the beautiful people, and the delicious food. What could possibly be better? If we can't travel to Italy in the near future, at least we can savor it through chocolate.





Thank you, Vosges. 

Love,

Sondra

No comments:

Post a Comment