Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Happy International Chocolate Day!!!

Today I got a phone call that made my day. It was my best friend, who now lives in a different state, calling to say, "Happy International Chocolate Day!!" Of course, this was like forgetting about Christmas, then someone reminding you and waking to this fact with a start of joy. "Really???" I exclaimed. "Yes!" she pronounced. "And tomorrow is cream-filled donut day!" She would know. I made her a photo calendar for Christmas, and spent hours filling each day with a national holiday (so many more than you would imagine- things like rubber duckie day and...mmm more interesting ones that I can't remember).

In any case, this revelation instantly brightened my day by approximately 10 watts. It also convinced me that some Amano chocolate was in order. I'm a broke college student, so it's hard to not feel guilty about buying a seven dollar bar of chocolate. But it is International Chocolate Day! It will be another year before it comes again! This auspicious day requires only the highest quality chocolate! And other rationalizations...

And yet, the guilt melts away when I taste this singular artisan chocolate. I swear if I could sell this stuff, I'd make a million bucks by my sheer enthusiasm. This chocolate is transporting. It's taste is so rough-cut and earthy, so evocative and complex, it has ruined me for all other chocolate.

In between study sessions (all about the fascinating Middle East!!) I let a square of Amano melt on my tongue while listening to Adele's "Someone Like You."

Because chocolate is an art form, in my opinion, it tastes best paired with other art. The rough beauty of Amano chocolate with this smooth and gorgeous live recording of Adele was the perfect match :)

For the ultimate artistic experience, some Michelangelo art accents Adele and Amano nicely.

*siiigh* Well it's back to textbooks :)

Enjoy your International Chocolate Day and tell me all about the chocolate you enjoyed today!!

Love always,

Sondra

No comments:

Post a Comment